5/26/2022 - Poke from Unagiri tonight with a sunset showcase. Capturing these both in memory and virtually to continue to enjoy. Hope all of you do as well.
I have been so excited to put together this segment that we have craftily named Car(s) of Guam (COGS). One of the areas that I find fascinating is how both people and things are moved to and around the island. As I sit here, I am surrounded by hundreds to thousands of miles of ocean in any one direction and some how we as humans have decided that living in a desolate place in Pacific is worth quite a bit of time, effort and resources. So this series of weekly "episodes" is devoted to just that: What are the unique forms of transportation on the island?, How do cars, trucks, suvs and other transportation equipment get to the island and to their destination?, and lastly: What does this vehicle selection tell us about the Guam culture? Episode 1: The Honda Acty Truck 3/3/2022 - From day 1 on the island I have been enthralled by these little tiny trucks. Maybe it is the proportion of the truck relative to the proportion of this small island, or maybe its because it challenges my...
3/29/2022 - I know what you are thinking, if this ep is titled new vehicles, why of all the photos to choose from did you take a photo of a Prius? This one in fact as I stated from a previous post is our host families new car, and to drive for ride hail you need a fairly new car based on expectations of the stroll service. The thing that has stood out to me here on Guam is most of the vehicles on the island are in US terms an import. Technically all things are imported on the island, as no vehicles are made here, but lets use the term "import" to mean external to the United States manufactures. This is a trend I see in both used and new vehicles, a large majority are from Japan. This has led me one to ask the question why is this the case, but also is there a way to get some data to back up what I am seeing? (what does a good engineer do to back up a claim, build a database) The next few images below are data tables, maybe less fun to read, but bear with me as I believe th...
4/19/2022 - The backyard is in full bloom again with some of the rain we have had. I have talked about this before, the flowers here seem to have multiple bloom seasons per year, Guam seems to always have something blossoming. Our host family also does a great job keeping up with all the plants around here. Vilma has been selling plants on and off as a side hustle. Great chance to work on some of my photography composition skills. I have not been able to find what the first two types of flowers are, I need to ask Vilma again. The bottom picture I have been told is a rare orchid. A future updated post as we learn more.
So beautiful and I do appreciate your thoughts and insights and God's beautiful creation.
ReplyDeleteLovely sunset!
ReplyDelete